Translate

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Man and his drinks.




I used to have my own bar before we moved to Cape Town. I build it myself in the area what we called our studio the last few years we stayed there. The studio was actually our previous single garage which stood empty after we had a double garage built.

Many years of moving around the rubbish piled up in that garage we decided that we should do something with this empty space.

After much deliberation with the family to have a gym, workshop or music studio, we decided on a studio for the whole family. A space where we can relax, study, read, work, play music, watch TV and drink of course. 

We used that studio extensively for any kind of activity, we where more in the studio than in the house. For me personally it was a dream come through.
We had many friends over for drinks and chats or watching Football or Rugby.
My daughters did their studies and my wife started a few hobbies.
It was a sunny studio with a big window in the front and sliding doors on the side, attached was a carport which we used for barbecues and parties when it rained.

We wished that we had done this many years ago. The kids approaching adult hood where growing up to fast.

At one of our parties, the kids had invited their friends as well,  we met one of our youngest daughter friends.
She worked in a bar that time, to supplement her study cost and she learned how to shake cocktails and make shooters.

One of the shooters she made for us called "Blow Job" every time it was a lot of giggles when that name was mentioned.
I am a modern father I always was, but when my girls where growing up many a time I was worried
about anything and everything that could have happened to them.
When I sat there drinking this stupid name for a drink, I thought who comes up with this kind of names and seeing in my mind my daughters asking for a blow job from a creepy bartender.
I am glad that everything worked out very well with my kids and that they became well balanced adults.
This drink is very popular with young adults at the moment. There are variants but the one below is how I have been introduced to it.

If you want the recipe here it is, but I guess your wife wouldn't drink it.

1 oz/30 ml Vodka.
1/2 oz/15 ml Bailey's Irish cream.
Whipped cream which I used to whip.

Pour into a cordial glass or shooter glass topped with whipped cream.
You should drink this without using your hands according to the girls, which I never did.





My wife loved to drink a Bloody Mary which she still do occasionally.
It is easy to make:

1 oz Vodka
3 oz Tomato juice
Tabasco sauce 1 dash or to taste
Worchester sauce 1 dash or to taste
0.5 oz Lemon juice
1 pinch of Salt
1 pinch of Pepper
1 stalk celery to garnish if you want.
My wife doesn't like celery in her Bloody Mary and she adds the spices her self.
Pour back and forward into 2 mixing glasses.

Strain in to a highball glass or your wife's favorite glass filled with ice.

I really do not drink cocktails or shooters, my favorite drinks are a good Brandy and coke and a cold beer.

Did you know that the word Cocktail comes from a lady who owned a bar in the old days and she used to dress up her bottles on the selves with Cock tail feathers for every bottle a different feather.

The boys who came to drink used to point to the bottle of which they want to drink from because they could not remember the name of the drink but could recognize the bottle. After some time they started to mention the Cock tail feathers representing the bottles like I want that Cock tail feather or that Cock tail feather. Soon after they simply referred to Cocktail if they wanted a particular drink.

Of course Shooter comes from shoot down that drink, emptying your glass in one time. Like the Russians do with their Wodka and throw the empty glass in the fire.







No comments:

Post a Comment