Translate

Monday, October 21, 2013

Man versus food

I always wanted to start a blog by man for man, and write about food, drinks, cooking and other stuff I have no clue about.

My wife does all the cooking and I do all the drinking, but I occasionally make diner when I need to score some points in our relationship but those points do not last very long,.

I also want to write about normal man in normal marriages and why man are just man.

As I go along with this blog, this will be possibly the biggest blog on earth.
There are so many things I wonder about in woman, for instance what do they think
and do they really need man. Are they from an other world and are they here to lead us or defeat us.

But to keep it safe for now I start with food because the way to a man's heart, is through his stomach.

I love good food but I am not a big eater.
There are many times, that I wanted to make something special but my wife always insisted that I do not know how to cook, and that I make always the same dish like "Spaghetti Bolognaise", but I remember that I made some awesome meals but that good have been in my dreams.

When I was at home during her cooking sessions and made some comments about how to improve on the daily food, she always said "I have no cooking clue" what I am talking about. So my interest in her food remained by eating it and doing the dishes after.

Over the years it has been like that and even our kids told their friends, "Dad can't cook",
I understand that you can not have 2 captains on the same ship as my wife used to say.

I started collection food recipes I think about 20 years ago with the idea to make something special if I learned how to cook. Many times I showed my wife this delicious recipes but the only response was, "Is my food not good enough?, if you can do better then you do it". She never looked at my recipes.

Now 20 years later we are retired and the kids are gone and living on their own. My wife still says, I do not have a cooking clue about cooking but in the mean time she always struggle to decide what she want to make for diner especially with the kids gone. I guess after years of cooking the spirit is lost. Last year we made an agreement, if she let me do the cooking occasionally, without interfering and complaining, I still do the dishes after.

So there it started, my first dish I made was not Spaghetti Bolognaise but African chicken wings
which I served with small peas and jacket potatoes.

My wife went to the hair dresser during the process so she good not see the mess I make according to her. I do not fancy chicken a lot but my wife loves it.

I tell you we had a very nice diner and my wife even made me a compliment and of course I was beaming. As promised I cleaned up everything which was not to bad.
Unfortunately I did not make a picture but I made this dish many times later and the picture shown in this article is from a later stage.

I leave you the recipe for if you want to score points with your wife yourself or if your wife always do the cooking you can give it to her.

The chicken wings can be prepared a day in advance which I did not do the first time, luckily when a woman goes to the hair dresser, it takes more than 5 hours which was enough for me to prepare this dish.

You need for the wings:

About 20 to 24 chicken wings tips should be removed..
4 garlic gloves.
2 shallots.
1 1/2 teaspoon salt.
1 table spoon mixed Chinese spices.
2 teaspoons paprika powder.
1 teaspoon rosemary.
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil.

You need for the sauce:

1/3 cup spoon smooth peanut butter.
1/4 cup canned cream of coconut which should be stirred well.
2 garlic cloves chopped fine.
1/4 cup of water.
1/4 cup red sweet pepper chopped fine.
1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes. If you like hot you can increase this to taste.
I teaspoon soy sauce.
Coriander sprigs

Prepare the wings.
Mince and mash the garlic with the shallots and salt to a paste.
In a large bowl stir the paste together with the Chinese spices, paprika, rosemary, cayenne pepper
and the oil and mix well.
Add the chicken wings and toss and stir them until they are completely covered with the marinade.
Cover the chicken and let marinate for about 3 hours in your refrigerator.
Arrange the chicken wings, skin side up on the rack of a foiled lined oven pan.
Bake them in the upper side of the preheated oven at 220 degrees Celsius which is about 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 to 30 min until they are golden brown.

Prepare the sauce.
In a blender mix together the peanut butter, cream of coconut, cloves, water, sweet pepper, hot red pepper flakes, and the soy sauce until the mixture is smooth. you can add a bit of salt to taste.

In this presentation at a later stage.
Transfer the sauce to a serving bowl or on a platter.
Arrange the chicken wings around the bowl and garnish the platter with coriander.
On this plate I also arranged home bread, made in our bread machine.
Cheese sausages for the hungry ones.
This was a table for 4 persons.



I hope it works out for you as it did for me. Bon Appetite.







No comments:

Post a Comment