Translate

Friday, October 25, 2013

Man versus cars




I bought my first car when I was 19 years old and I had my Dutch driver’s license only for 3 months. My first car was of course a Volkswagen Beatle 1962, 1200 cc and good as new.

The driver’s licence I originally obtained was registered in the Caribbean Island of Curacao. I was stationed there with the Royal Dutch Navy from 1966 to 1968. My mate and I decided, we going to take driving lessons and do the exam. We went to a driver school in Willemstad. We were in tropical uniform and the lady at the desk was a local. She insisted that we get preferential treatment and that we could start right away. A man appeared from the back and took us to an old fiat 500 1958. My mate went first and after 30 min driving around in second gear the instructor said we must change and that I must have a turn.

I found a picture of a Fiat 500 from 1958

It was not possible for me to get the fiat in third gear or fourth gear so I also drove around for about 30 min. The instructor decided that we know now how to drive and took over the wheel. After a lot of double clutching and gear noises he managed to get the fiat in third gear and drove straight to the police station and said to us that we should wait. After about 10 min he came back with a police officer and told us to climb out. He instructed my mate to go behind the wheel and the police officer stepped in the passenger seat. My mate drove away and I was wondering if we did the right thing. After about 5 min I saw the fiat turned back into the police station parking and my mate climbed out. According to the instructor it was now my turn and became very nervous but as my mate was smiling I climbed in.

We drove around at a speed of 30 km per hour because I still could not get the fiat into third gear. I was as careful as I could and kept a straight face. The police officer did not say a single word except that I must turn back to the police station; this was not more than 5 minutes later. We waited with the instructor outside while the police officer went inside. About 10 minutes later he came outside and told the instructor that we passed our exams and that we must return with pass photo and 30 Caribbean dollars each, to collect our drivers license, this all happened before midday. We returned in the afternoon after we where sure that this could not be true. But after handing in the pass photo and paid the required fee. We got our drivers license before tea time. 

As the Caribbean Islands belong to the Netherlands that time, I could transfer the driver’s license into a Dutch driver’s license without any problems. 

Now that we are in the Caribbean mood I have a nice recipe what comes straight from there.

Breadfruit and Beef Stew 
Breadfruit is a species of a flowering tree in the mulberry family, growing throughout Southeast Asia and most Pacific Ocean islands

You need:

1 1l b . ( 1 1/2 kg) beef
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup dried breadfruit
1 cup pumpkin, chopped


2 cups green leafy vegetables

Soak breadfruit in water for 10 minutes.
Mix flour and salt.
Cut up meat into small pieces.
Add to the flour mixture, mixing until well coated.
Heat cooking oil in a large pot.
Add the coated meat and brown.
When the meat is almost brown, add chopped onion. Stir occasionally until browned. Add water. Cover and cook until meat is tender, about 30 minutes.
Add breadfruit, pumpkin, and green leafy vegetables. Cook for another 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot.

While I was stationed in Curacao I learned to drink Coca Libre  or Freedom Coca Cola. It is now called Cuba Libre. Coca Libre is also Bacardi white rum, lime and Coco Cola.

How to make it:




2 oz of Bacardi Rum
1/2 oz Lime
Coca Cola
Ice cubes

Pour the Lime over the ice cubes into a high ball glass
Add the rum.
Fill with fresh Coca Cola.
Stir and serve.









No comments:

Post a Comment